Sunday, February 1, 2009

Internet Safety

I think internet safety is an important issue concerning children of all ages. When I was younger we had to worry about answering the phone and the door to a stranger. I was told never to tell a stranger that I was home alone. Along those same aspects, children now need to be aware of strangers on the internet. In viewing the internet safety video for young children, I feel that this would be an appropriate video to show to my students since I am a first grade teacher. Sometimes a person can forget that this 6 year old may be at home “chatting” with people on the internet because it was not something I did when I was 6 years old. I do think that parents should be with a young child while they are “surfing the web.” But of course that is not always possible and therefore it is very important that we educate children about the dangers of the internet. When I say “we” of course I mean parents and teachers alike. So I feel this video is geared appropriately towards young children both visually, with its clip art pictures and cognitively, with the teacher explaining in a detailed, slow, calm manner.

Internet safety video (young children)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuaJcjxBK3U

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is important to start educating children at a young age about internet safety. Kids are learning to use computers at very young ages. My three year old brother has several websites that he can navigate through with ease. We have to put internet safety on the list of early learning experiences:

    Tying shoes...check
    Crossing the street...check
    Don't talk to strangers...check
    Internet safety...???

    I think your video is a good way to start. It is very kid friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you REALLY want to keep your kids safe online, you need to know what they are doing on the computer. Simple as that. Blocks and filters are easy to get around as you stated, but if you have monitoring software, like our PC Pandora (www.pcpandora.com), you will know everything they do and will be able to talk to them about it. If you aren’t monitoring and don’t know what they are really doing, how can you be sure they are safe? How can you be sure they are using the Internet responsibly and not putting themselves into bad situations? How can you be sure they aren’t being bullied or BEING a bully?

    ReplyDelete